Our client, an international development agency is looking for a Legal Program Officer (on a Consultancy basis) to work at the East Africa Community level and should be familiar with regional human rights mechanisms, and respective legal SRHR frameworks of the six-member states.
Reports to: Senior Program Officer, Advocacy
Duration (up to): December 2022
Job Location: Nairobi
S/He will be responsible for the development, management, implementation, reporting, and evaluation of related projects. Specialized assistance and technical guidance to respective partners will be critical to ensure that the partners’ interventions are aligned to the donor and program design.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Cultivates partnerships and liaise with like-minded legal, legislative, and human rights organizations at local, regional, and international levels.
- Establishes relationships with relevant legal, legislative, and human rights research stakeholders and/or networks, project and legal officers, and other support staff.
- Coordinates research under the legal advocacy program and projects and drafting of analysis of laws, legislation, protocols, and other memoranda and correspondence on relevant legal matters to be presented and shared with target audiences including partners, stakeholders, and the public.
- Convenes regular legal, legislative, and human rights consultative workshops with partners and like-minded organizations to discuss strategies in alignment with prevailing country and regional contexts.
- Provides legal, legislative, policy trainings, and prepares training materials for partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Represents the organization in national, regional, and international legal forums, as and when appropriate.
- Prepares quarterly program-related reports in a timely manner, materials for both internal and external use including reports, action materials, and submissions to be made in different forums.
- Ensures timely and regular reporting on the project implementation to the immediate supervisor and development partners.
- Any other duty that may be assigned from time to time to further the vision and mission of the organization.
Qualification and Experience:
- A Degree in Law (a Master’s in Law is preferable) with 3-5 years of proven litigation and legislative policy experience.
- At least five years’ experience as a Legal/Legislative Program Officer, preferably working on donor-funded legal or judicial reform, access to justice, or community engagement projects.
- With 3-5 years of research and demonstrated experience preparing legal, legislation, policy guidelines, documents, advocacy materials, memoranda, and reports. Opposition research is an added advantage.
Skills or Related Knowledge
- Has high levels of emotional intelligence.
- Is a creative, innovative, and strategic thinker.
- Advocates for women’s reproductive health and rights and LGBTI rights.
- Demonstrates resiliency/adaptability and flexibility.
- Operates effectively under difficult circumstances and interacts effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Has the ability to quickly simplify legal jargon to essential and simple concepts and approaches.
- Good interpersonal skills; Actively listens and communicates.
- Is an excellent communicator (verbal and written) in English. French is an added advantage.
Applicants who meet the requirements stated above should send their applications and detailed CVs with a day – time Telephone number to the email address: email@example.com with Legal Program Officer on the Subject line. Candidates MUST indicate their Current and Expected consultancy fee on a monthly basis