Our client, the Global Alliance for Livestock Veterinary Medicines (GALVmed)is a not-for-proﬁt organization whose mission is to develop livestock vaccines and medicines to beneﬁt smallholder livestock keepers in the developing world seek to recruit a Director, Research and development(TAHSSL).
‘The TAHSSL project is “Transforming Animal-Health Solutions and Services for Low-and middle-income countries.
Main Purpose and Scope of the Job
To provide leadership, scientific expertise, advice, and support for the R&D TAHSSL programs at ILRI, Nairobi. To impart knowledge, coaching, and advice across a range of projects thereby improving GALVmed’s ability to meet its commitments to its funders. To provide practical support based on experience to project team leaders and to GALVmed’s network of partners. To build on GALVmed’s reputation for scientific and technical excellence. To oversee the continuous improvement and function of the in-country operations group of GALVmed.
Reports to: Executive Director, Research and Development
Key Interfaces:ILRI and ClinGlobal; Director, R & D (VITAL); Portfolio Manager; Clinical Team; Technical & Expert Scientific Committee; development partners of GALVmed; scientific community; development community; regulatory authorities; GALVmed funders.
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Lead the TAHSSL Project for GALVmed as the key interface with ILRI and ClinGlobal staff
- Lead GALVmed expert for TAHSSL and similar product development platforms, TAHSSL priority diseases (CBPP, CCPP, ASF, ECF, Heartwater, Babesiosis and Anaplamosis) and manufacturing.
- Lead one or more projects for GALVmed R&D in connection with other GALVmed functions: Enabling Environment, Commercial Development & Impact (including manufacturing and M&E).
- Contribute to GALVmed R&D strategy
- Generate and regularly update the integrated disease control plans.
- Manage R&D project budgets
- Improve GALVmed’s performance by continuous review and improvement of R&D procedures
- Together with the Portfolio Manager, oversee the product development planning
- Manage the use and selection of consultants and partners ensuring appropriate use of skill sets
- Contribute to management of milestone review process
- Represent the company within the research and scientific community in Africa and South Asia
- Build and manage strong relationships with GALVmed’s project partners
- Act as a project team leader as required
Qualifications / experience required
- Degree in Veterinary Medicine and/or a relevant PhD
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in field of Animal Health & product development in a commercial environment
- Reputation in the scientific animal health community
- Skilled or conversant in the production/manufacturing of animal health products, particularly vaccines.
- Minimum of 5 years’ management experience
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly throughout Africa and South Asia
- Experience in Animal Health in Africa and/or South Asia
- Specific knowledge of the infectious diseases prevalent in the geographies in which GALVmed focuses
A significant amount of travel around Africa
Applicants who meet the requirements stated above should send their applications and detailed CVs with a day – time Telephone number to the email address: email@example.com with Director, Research and Development (TAHSSL)on the subject line. Candidates MUST indicate their Current and Expected salaries
Only shortlisted will be contacted